Web Design Resources
A Website Hosting Primer
Once you have designed the website for your company, it is necessary to host it on a server. Even today, many people still ask us why it is necessary to host their website on another server. They feel that if they are on the net 24 / 7, and keep their own machine on, everyone should be able to see their website. The most important drawback of hosting your own website is that the bandwidth you get is very little, and your visitor will be frustrated by the speed. Plus, if your website becomes popular, it will just not be able to handle the flow of visitors. Hosting Options There are many commercial options available to host a website today. From free hosting to hundreds of dollars per month, there is a plethora of choice that leaves the uninitiated bewildered. This primer is intended to serve as a guide to help you make an informed choice.
There are many hosting providers who allow you to host your website on their servers free of choice. While this may look like a good option, it cannot be the right choice for the serious company owner for the following reasons:
- Free hosting providers typically provide you limited space and e-mail IDs. Once you grow and want to increase the space, you are asked to upgrade to paid service.
- The bandwidth you get is very less. This is akin to driving your car on a congested road, where traffic moves at a snails pace. The same happens to your visitor.
- The most important drawback of hosting your website on a free server is the lack of support. If you rely on mails, just imagine the damage an important lost mail can cause you.
- Free hosting providers usually push ads on your website. You have no control over them or their content.
- There is a strong possibility of such companies providing bulk mail services, invoking the ire of search engines and other ISPs. This can result in their black listing their server because of spamming. If you are seriously considering search engine optimization of your website, this will have a detrimental effect on your campaign.
Commercial Hosting For a mid size company who typically outsource their website design requirements, shared hosting is the most logical and ideal choice. In shared hosting, your company shares server space with other companies. In India, rates can vary from Rs. 100 (about $21) per month to Rs. 1000 (about $ 21) per month per 1 GB. Most companies do not require more than 25 MB of space for their website data. The bulk of the space is utilized for mails. While choosing commercial hosting, do not opt for a hosting company based only on their rates. One of the most important practical considerations for any company is uninterrupted e-mail service. And the support in case something goes wrong. Do not rely on the '24 x 7' chat support button on the company's website; ask clients who have actually their website hosted with the company. Server uptime is not really a criterion nowadays, but support is. If you cannot receive / send mails or are getting any other errors, you need fast turnaround. Always talk to people who have hosted their website with a company before you decide on a hosting company.